Adventure Science Center Presents the 13th Annual
For Girls in 9th to 12th Grade
Saturday, February 14, 2015
8:30 AM - 3:00 PM
TWISTER (Tennessee Women in Science, Technology, Engineering & Research) is a daylong professional conference for high school women, presented by women working in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Research) professions. Each presenter is eager to share details about her career with you, answer your questions, help steer you to the right educational pathway, and give you a little taste of daily life in the workplace. Participants attend four, 55-minute sessions that explore a variety of STEM topics.
Why Attend TWISTER?
- Opportunities to meet and connect with women working in a wide array of STEM professions
- A chance to hear first-hand how women balance careers, interests and family
- Fun and engaging hands-on STEM activities and topics
- To discover new career ideas, college pathways and requirements, opportunities for internships and other educational experiences
- A chance to meet other young women with similar interests and passions
How Do I Sign Up?
Online registration will be available on October 1st, 2014.
- This event is held during regular business hours in Adventure Science Center classrooms.
- TWISTER may conflict with February ACT or SAT dates. We suggest you check with your school before registering.
- Lunch is provided and includes a sandwich, fruit or chips, and beverage.
- Only students, presenters and event staff are allowed in the sessions.
- The conference begins at 8:30 am and ends by 3:00 pm.
- Participants will be emailed more details closer to the day of the event, and will receive their specific session schedule for the day at check-in the morning of the conference
WiTT Scholarship Information
Apply to win a college scholarship for $2,500 or $1,000! Applicants must complete an essay and include additional documents outlined in the application. The deadline for completed submissions is January 21, 2015. Students must be in 12th grade and registered with TWISTER to participate.
2013 WiTT Scholarship Winners
$2,500 Scholarship to Kendall Haberer, Brentwood High School
$1,000 Scholarship to Darby Schumacher, Baylor School
STEM Topics May Include:
||Astrophysics, aerospace design and technology
||Lab and technical assistants, rehabilitation
||Genetics, diagnostics, clinical research, quality control
||Biomedical, civil, mechanical, electrical, environmental, materials science
|Environmental Health and Safety
||Epidemiology, forensics, microbiology, nutrition, emergency management
||Green building design, architecture, renewable energy industry
||Software development, network security, web design, telecommunications
||Agriculture, animal science, biology, science education, food science
||Exercise physiology, audiologist, nurse practitioner radiology, nursing, physician
||Digital design, fashion design, photography, game and application development, social media marketing
Be a Presenter:
TWISTER seeks female role-models currently working in science, technology, engineering, research, or math-related fields who would like the opportunity to positively impact high school women interested in STEM. Presenters are asked to prepare and present a 55-minute session for 20-25 participants; session should include a hands-on activity relative to your topic. See last year’s program for an idea of the day’s schedule and session inspiration. And we are always looking for new and exciting topics.
See last year's program for an idea of the day's schedule and session inspiration. And we are always looking for new and exciting topics.
Be a Volunteer:
Volunteers are needed to be presentation assistants, assist with set-up/clean-up, help with registration, and aid in general event duties.
If you are interested in presenting or volunteering, please email our TWISTER Team today with info on your interest.
Be A Sponsor:
Is your organization interested in becoming a sponsor? Call Tim Sears at (615) 401-5055 or send email to email@example.com.
Thank you to our sponsors: