WHAT IS A FIELD TRIP GROUP?
A field trip group is 15 students or more from an educational institution. A minimum payment for 15 students is required.
ONE PAYMENT REQUIRED
The designated representative from your organization collects all fees in advance from students, extra adults and siblings. One single payment by check, cash, or credit card is required and due at arrival in order to qualify for the group rate. Advance partial payment and deposits may be required for large groups.
REQUIRED CHAPERONES ARE FREE
Chaperones are teachers and other adults who monitor behavior, assist students with exhibit exploration and schedules, and stay with the assigned group at all times. Chaperones must be 18 years or older.
ASC Chaperone/Student Ratios
- Preschool to 8th grade 1 adult per 5 students required
- High School 1 adult per 15 students required
Any adults above the required ratio must pre-pay to the school to get the special group rate. If they are not included in the single payment, they pay the current general admission prices plus applicable planetarium and program fees at the door (space permitting). It is the responsibility of the school to make parents aware of the policies. Please distribute this information to all teachers going on the field trip so that they may alert parents.
ASC MEMBERSHIPS, COUPONS, SPECIAL OFFERS
ASC memberships, reciprocal memberships, coupons, and special offers do not apply to school group visits.
LARGE GROUP DEPOSIT POLICY
A large group is defined as 100 students or more.
• A $75 deposit is due upon receipt of confirmation letter. Deposits will be credited toward the total amount due.
• All Sudekum Planetarium show reservations require an additional $1 per person non-refundable payment.
• Remainder of payment is due in full upon arrival the day of your visit to Adventure Science Center. Deposits not received on time may result in cancellation of planetarium reservations.
• Cancellations received in writing (email accepted) 14 days prior to reservation day will receive 100 percent of their deposit back, minus $30 administration fee. ASC will retain the full deposit if cancellation is received less than seven days prior to reservation day.
• Groups that cancel 14 days prior to reservation day and reschedule will have the deposit and any planetarium program fees transferred to the new date.
• Due to the purchase of specialized supplies for some programs and all labs, cancellation fees may apply for materials costs. There is a $50 non-refundable deposit for Biolabs.
• Cancellations due to weather conditions that close the reserved school system, and which are rescheduled, will not be charged a cancellation fee.
Running late? It may be necessary to cancel or shorten programs, or rearrange your schedule, if possible. Call (615) 862-5177 to notify ASC of late arrival. Lab and materials fees are non-refundable.
ADDITIONS TO THE GROUP
• If the original group size changes, call (615) 862-5177.
• If extra adults or siblings have not pre-paid to the school, they pay current regular daily admission prices plus any planetarium and program fees (space permitting).
• Extra adults and siblings cannot be guaranteed a place in programs.
Subway is now located in the Skyline Cafe providing the option of boxed lunches for school groups. Groups may bring in sack lunches by reserving a 30-minute slot in the Skyline Room (96 seats) for $20 or they can eat underneath the solar panels picnic area in the lower lot (no charge). Groups using the lunchroom are asked to clean up and clear tables.
GROUPS MAY NOT BRING IN PREPARED FOOD FROM OUTSIDE RESTAURANTS OR HAVE FOOD DELIVERED TO ASC. The Skyline Cafe is for Subway customers or school groups who are bringing in boxed sack lunches from school (reservation and fee required in advance).
HOW TO PREPARE STUDENTS AND CHAPERONES
• Go to www.adventuresci.com for resources that explain policies and responsibilities for chaperones and students.
• Download teacher curriculum support materials, self-guided student scavenger hunts and science logs.
• Review ASC rules and schedules with students and chaperones.
• Assign each adult to a small group before you arrive.
• Assign adults to take care of lunches, if applicable.
ARRIVAL AND DEPARTURE
• ASC recommends grouping students with the same schedule onto the same bus.
• Arrive no later than 20 minutes before the first scheduled program.
• Everyone stays on buses until an ASC Greeter indicates when to disembark.
• Groups enter in single file lines through the front entrance doors.
• The designated representative takes the single payment to the front desk.
• ASC staff distributes wristbands for students and chaperones (plus chaperone stickers).
• ASC requests groups use the School Roundup area next to the Front Desk to gather for departure.
• Assigned adults move lunches to labeled carts and take to the Skyline Room on the 2nd floor.
Buses drive through the one-way single lane in front of the Center to load and unload students before moving to the lower lot to park in the diagonal bus spaces. Groups arriving in cars may park in any available spaces in the upper and lower lot.
Download a map from www.adventuresci.com to find the locations of exhibits, emergency exits, and restrooms. The high capacity restrooms are located on the first floor next to the front desk and on the second floor next to Eureka Corner. All restrooms have ADA approved stalls and diaper-changing stations.
Adventure Tower has limited access with ramps on two levels. Other exhibits areas are fully accessible, including the Sudekum Planetarium. Call Sharon Mendonsa (615) 401-5078 if your group has special needs or special requests concerning accessibility.
GIFT SHOP, BLUE MAX, AND SPACE CHASE
Chaperones must accompany students in the ASC gift shop. Tickets for the Blue Max flight simulator are available at the front desk. EVA and Moonwalk are free but have certain height and weight guidelines. Check for availability at arrival.
LOST CHILDREN AND POSSESIONS
• Go to the Front Desk on the first floor to report a lost child. Staff will implement lost child procedures.
• Go to the Front Desk on the first floor to report lost or missing items.
• ASC is not responsible for lost items.
STUDENT SAFETY AND EMERGENCIES
• Students and chaperones wear color-coded wristbands. Chaperones also wear ASC stickers.
• Each school signs a group behavior form (Code of Conduct).
• All non-public entry exterior doors are alarmed.
• Adults in building are identified as staff, guests or vendors.
• In cases of weather and fire emergencies, ASC staff is trained to implement a plan to evacuate or move visitors to designated areas, depending on the emergency.