We have many opportunities to get involved with Adventure Science Center as a volunteer. Our volunteers serve an important role in helping us achieve our mission to be an interactive science-learning center where families can laugh and learn together. If you choose to volunteer at ASC, we can promise you will have fun, learn and make a difference in the lives of countless children. We look forward to working with you!
Adventure Science Center provides you the chance to:
- • Gain work skills and experience
- • Enhance your resume or college application
- • Develop friendships with other volunteers, staff members and visitors
- • Meet tourists from across the country and learn from them
- • Receive self-satisfaction from knowing your help is appreciated
Volunteer positions include:
Discovery Docent – Discovery Docents are trained by ASC science educators to add value to our guests’ experiences by presenting Discovery Cart programs or by facilitating the use of exhibits throughout the science center. These programs add information and excitement to our guests’ visit and take the experience to the next level of education and fun.
Public Programs – Bring science to life for visitors with simple, fun science demonstrations.
Phone Operator – Answer basic questions and directing calls appropriately.
Guest Services – Greet guests, answer questions and encourage visitors to become members.
Birthday Party – Assist with preparations and execution of on-site birthday parties.
School Orientation – Greet school groups, explain center rules and escort groups to their programs!
Special Events – Help with any of our many special public events in a wide variety of roles.
Fundraising/Development – Assist in the planning or execution of fundraising events and other activities.
Administration – Go behind the scenes and help with the daily office functions of ASC.
Do you love making things, tinkering with objects, building with mechanical parts, or experimenting with electronics? How about sharing your passion for making things with others? Adventure Science Center seeks creative volunteers to assist inside a temporary exhibit, the Tinkering Garage, opening Feb. 1. The Tinkering Garage aims to inspire visitors of all ages to make - using their hands, provided tools, and imaginations!
Volunteers will assist ASC staff with open-ended maker activities with the public, school groups, members and campers inside the Garage. Additional duties include guest greeting, managing crowd control, assisting with safety rule enforcement and more! Creative, outgoing, and enthusiastic individuals that like sharing with others are well suited for this position. We ask that volunteers be available Saturdays or Sundays and on occasional weekdays.
TO APPLY: Adult Volunteer Application
Time Commitment: At least 2 shifts per month for a minimum of 3 months. Ideally volunteers will commit to one shift a week.
Schedule: Volunteers are scheduled on Saturdays and Sundays from 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. and weekdays from 10 a.m. – 3 p.m.
• Assist with activities for children, families and the general public around making things
• Welcome visitors to the Tinkering Garage
• Maintain a safe environment within the Tinkering Garage and ensure it is neat and clean for visitors
• Assist visitors by providing assistance with tools, challenges and builds
• Assist with the preparation of activity materials
• Enjoy interacting with children, families, and the general public
• Passion for making things through hand-work robotics, electronics, metalworking, woodworking, sewing, or arts and crafts and an enthusiasm for learning new skills
• Attend agreed upon trainings
• Commit to at least 3-months and to volunteer a minimum of 2-shifts a month
• 21+ years old
• Pass a criminal background check
• Provide three references (one or more being a professional reference)
Abilities and Personal Characteristics
• Creative and enthusiastic to learn new maker activities
• Courteous professional manner
• Ability to exercise sound judgment and flexibility should difficult situations arise
• Excellent oral communication skills
• Ability to present oneself in a professional manner with regard to personal appearance and hygiene
• Smiling team player, with a pleasant disposition and service orientation
1. Download and complete an application and reference form:
Adult Volunteer Application
Youth Volunteer Application
2. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information and to schedule an interview.